Software Developer with DBA Duties
We're looking for a Software Developer with DBA Duties to join our growing IT Department.
Salary: Competitive package negotiable and commensurate with experience.
Software Developer with DBA Duties
ElectroRoute is a dynamic and fast-growing energy trading and services company. Currently active in the international trade of commodities from power, gas, oil and and green certificates in Ireland, Europe and Japan, the company’s ambitious growth plans will see it trade in several more international jurisdictions in the coming years. To achieve its ambitions ElectroRoute wishes to continue to grow its high calibre team and is currently seeking exceptional individuals to join us on our journey in changing how the energy marketplace works.
ElectroRoute is seeking to hire a Software Developer with DBA duties to take on significant tasks related to organising, sourcing, developing and structuring data gathering and management across our enterprise whilst meeting the immediate day to day requirements of our Front Office Trading Departments. Reporting to the Data Solutions Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting in the design of robust data gathering, sourcing, persisting and managing infrastructure, and software across ElectroRoute’s entire businesses. This role is a varied role that will suit someone comfortable with programming in Python/SQL on the one hand but also performing some DBA duties as required across the ElectroRoute database suite.
This role will afford the successful candidate outstanding career development prospects, and the opportunity to be instrumental in driving ElectroRoute’s growth through the support and development of our core IT systems, as well as the revenue generation sections of our business.
The Role of the Software Developer with DBA Duties can require:
- Various database-centric duties such as database maintenance and query tuning, stored procedure creation and review.
- Performing various development tasks in languages such as Python, Excel Vba
- ETL and Scraper development and maintenance in tools such as Python, AWS DMS, Glue
- Helping to design efficient data structures to store market, industry and other company data
- Maintaining, supporting and further developing the company’s suite of data gathering and data loading tools
- Ensuring data integrity, accessibility and security
- Working pro-actively with Front Office to front run the generation of Trading Decision Support Tools and support requests, and to respond in a timely and appropriate manner to Front Office Development requests.
- Dashboarding in AWS Quicksight, Excel, Python etc.
- Exploring new AWS technologies with a view to improving the IT offering to the business e.g. AWS Lambda, Redshift, DynamoDB
|Advanced (or higher)||SQL (including Stored Procedures) and Python programming experience|
MySQL Database Structure and simple DBA tasks in a cloud-based environment e.g. query tuning, account maintenance.
S3/AWS Glue/AWS Athena
SQL Workbench/Toad/AWS Athena or similar database tooling.
Good understanding of ETL, Scraping and Data Cleansing
AWS experience – RDS, VPC, CLI scripting
|Intermediate (or higher)||Dashboarding with at least one enterprise tool e.g. Tableau, AWS Quicksight|
Data Warehousing, ETL Tooling (e.g. DMS, Glue, Other)
Other database experience such as AWS Redshift, DynamoDB
Source control systems
Django Web framework
Knowledge of Statistical Modelling, R, Matlab
GUI Development for in house systems in any platform.
- Good understanding of RDBMS technologies and how they interact in trading environments and in the cloud, ETL processes, tools, methodologies
- Experience working in a time sensitive, IT technical role for Front, Middle, Back Office in a trading environment.
- Ability to play a significant role in developing new coded solutions and maintaining existing production systems across the range of ElectroRoute platforms and technologies, including delivering and implementing changes in a complex production environment
- Experience of Cloud Services in particular AWS, in relation to databases as a service, migration tools, EC2 instances, development in cloud native technologies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills for interacting with traders, quantitative analysts, other software developers and back and middle office users
- Ability to prioritise issues in a time sensitive environment
- Ability and willingness to take full ownership and responsibility for issues raised, project work, from start to finish of the issue or project work
- Flexible and eager to apply best practice software solutions to practical issues and problems facing users in energy trading markets
- Working closely with business teams to come up with solutions to recurring problems as well as playing the lead role in delivering incremental system developments
- Self-starter, with a strong interest in new and emerging technologies and an aptitude for learning new technologies
The Successful Candidate must be able to demonstrate the following:
- Must be keen to work in a data engineering/data analytics role. Enthusiasm and ability to pick up new technologies, within reason, are key facets of this role
- Will most likely have between three to ten years relevant experience
- Honours Primary degree in a technical field such as computer science/computer applications
- Diligence with an attention to detail, particularly in relation to documentation for processes and procedures (creating and maintaining Knowledge Base, run books, topology etc)
- Excellent and deep understanding of the structure, operation and maintenance of at least one enterprise database engine. AWS MySQL RDS is fine in this regard.
- In depth knowledge of at least one programming language such as Python and attendant frameworks e.g. Django, Flask.
- Must be enthusiastic about data and its use in the context of energy markets which will lead to a greater understanding of the trading function and how to better assist that function with experience.
- NOTE this role will not suit someone who has no experience in software development and classifies themselves as a traditional DBA only. This role is more of a generalist role where a certain percentage (e.g. 30%) but not all, of the week will be involved with mostly simple DBA tasks. We primarily use Amazon RDS (MySQL and MariaDB) so many of the traditional common DBA tasks are automated or not necessary.
- Post-graduate degree(s) and/or Diplomas in specialisations related to IT, mathematics or data sciences
- Knowledge of power trading and commodities systems, energy industry and/or commodity markets
- Knowledge of Energy Trading and Risk Management Systems and/or implementations, commodity scheduling systems
- Familiarity with requirements and specifics of front/middle/back office and deal flow in a time sensitive trading environment
Remuneration: Competitive package negotiable and commensurate with experience.
Location: Dublin Contact by Email Only: email@example.com